Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why do bad things happen?

Yesterday, as I went about my tasks, I was asked to explain my understanding of why bad things happen. What are we to make of God when the innocent suffer? Now, this conversation did not take place at the church. Some of the best conversations about God happen when I'm walking around Winchester. As you can imagine, this topic comes up often for clergy. What I find is that those who have been taught that God predetermines everything are at a loss when tragedy strikes. It is really hard not to blame God when a loved one dies young if you believe that God made that happen. This is one of the number one reasons people stop going to church. I believe, and the Episcopal Church teaches, that we have free will. God did not kill the innocent person, but the person who made the choice to shot the gun is the responsible party. God suffers with us; God cries with us. God became one of us and died on a cross to be with us in our suffering. Christianity does not promise that all will go well, but that God will be with us and, in the end, bring us to new life.

No comments: