Monday, February 11, 2013

An Angel in one Alley



God connects with us all the time through what we know and the circumstances of our lives. Praying about what has happened to us in the past gives God a chance to show us more than we could understand at the time. A prayer experience that I had a few years ago on retreat is the inspiration for this writing project, "Angels in the Alley." In this post, I will share the experience that happened in the 1970s, and in future posts, more will be shared about my experience. As the blog develops, concepts about God, knowing God, experiencing God, will be considered in a way that I hope will be helpful to you as you reflect on your relationship with God.

When I was a little girl living in Winchester Virginia, my Dad and I would walk our dog around the streets and side-streets of Old Town Winchester. We often walked down what I thought of as an alley, a bit of an out-of-the-way area, away from the cars and other people. A pocket of silence in a busy world. As I think about it now, it feels still. We walked by this large building, I'm not sure if I knew it was church when I was four years old, but it was. We walked by, and I would look up, and I would see this angel, right there, and I thought of her as "my angel," (probably not "her" but to me she was). I don't remember thinking about the angel much when we weren't walking by that church, but the image and the memory never left me.

No comments: